there is a women in China holding a black umbrella so she
won’t taste the salt of the rain when the sky begins to weep,
there is a 17 year old girl who smells like pomegranates and has summer air tight on her naked skin, wrapping around her scars
like veins in a bloody garden, who won’t make it past tomorrow,
there is a young man, who buys yellow flowers for the woman
in apartment 84B, who learned braille when he realized she
couldn’t read his poetry about her white neck and mint eyes
there are people watching films,
making love for the first time, opening mail with the
heading of ‘i miss you’, cooking noodles with
organic spices and red sauces, buying lemon detergent,
ignoring ‘do not smoke’ signs, painting murals
of his lips in abandoned warehouses, chewing
the words ‘i love you’ over and over again, swallowing
phone numbers and forgotten birthdays, eating
strawberry pies, drinking white wine off of each
others open mouths, ignoring the telephone,
reading this poem
someone is thinking
someone finally understands
they never really
1. When you cut yourself, clean and bandage it.
2. Do not start smoking cigarettes because the boy who broke your heart does.
3. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
4. Cutting calories doesn’t do anything but make you unhappy.
5. If the number on the scale rises, throw it out.
6. The first girl you ever “date” is going to call the police on you even though she lives three thousand miles away, because you’re going to tell her that you’re not in a good mental state shortly after you’ve “broken up”.
7. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
8. Break up with the boy who says, “You had a sexy phase!” when you tell him that you’ve dated a girl before.
9. Dating your friends is not always the best idea, but you can still be friends after you’ve broken up.
10. Your mother will try to become your best friend because you’re leaving for college soon, let her.
11. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
12. Your closest friend will stop talking to you when you leave for college.
13. It’s always okay to cry.
14. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
15. When you cut yourself again, clean and bandage it. Do not be ashamed.
16. Your anxiety is going to try and control your entire life. Tell it to shut the hell up, because you’re trying to live and that task is hard enough as it is.
17. The past has a funny way of coming back in the form of you developing a crush on another friend.
18. Try not to hate yourself for breaking up with your boyfriend.
19. If you’re still smoking, apologize silently to your mother.
20. When you want to kill yourself, don’t.
Marry your best friend.
Marry someone who you wouldn’t mind waking up to every day for the rest of forever. The one who makes you fucking glad to be alive. Who makes you feel like your heart has a huge goofy smile on its face. Don’t settle.
Marry someone who drives you crazy. The one who frustrates you. Marry the one you don’t mind fighting with, because they will not be stuck up or awkward about it. Don’t marry someone who gives their ego more importance, than they give you.
Marry someone who you can check other people out with. The one who you turn to when your world comes undone. The one whose shoulder you want at 4 AM because “nothing seems to work out”. The one you want at 2 PM because you hate eating your food alone. Marry someone who knows how much coffee you need in the morning to be fully awake. The one who knows you are not a morning person.
Marry someone you can imagine yourself spending not just Friday nights but also Sunday afternoons with. The one you can see yourself with in the future…. maybe twenty or twenty five years down the line. The one who can take your sadness away in that one hug.
Marry someone who makes you the best version of yourself. The one who believes in you, even when you don’t. The one who stands by you, through thick and thin.
Marry someone you can’t imagine your life without.
Marry the one you are insanely in love with. And the one who is insanely in love with you.
Marry the one who knows what you want to say, when you’re too tired to say it with words. The one you can spend comfortable silences with from time to time.
Marry the one you can imagine yourself going on long road trips with.
Marry your soulmate. Marry your best friend.
"Too many books?" I believe the phrase you’re looking for is "not enough bookshelves".